Provides independent and objective assurance to the City Manager’s Office and senior divisional management on the adequacy and effectiveness of controls in program areas/functions across the City, as well as on corporate initiatives, programs, processes and policies. Assists the City Manager and senior divisional management in identifying and mitigating risks in their respective areas of operation, such that program/service objectives are effectively achieved, applicable policies and legislation complied with, and good management principles/practices adhered to. Provides value added and independent advice and guidance on financial, policy, operational, risk and control issues.
- Undertakes and manages financial, IT systems, operational, fraud and compliance type audits, by establishing audit objectives, scope and procedures, and organizing the work to be completed, as required.
- Prepares internal audit reports, including the development of recommendations, and presents audit results and conclusions to senior management, as appropriate.
- Participates and provides internal audit advice on complex organizational and management change initiatives, to help create a work environment and structure that facilitates and promotes a high level of organizational performance and accountability.
- Provides internal audit expertise and assurance to senior divisional management in the design, development and implementation of new/enhanced programs, information technology systems, processes and initiatives, by ensuring applicable risks are identified and properly addressed.
- Enhances the City’s control framework and ability to meet its risk management requirements in key business processes, by providing appropriate training, education and information to divisional staff on risk and control issues as well as effective management principles/practices.
- Monitors and expedites the progress as well as action taken by management on audit recommendations, including those resulting from audits performed by the Auditor General’s Office, and prepares regular status reports for senior management’s attention, as appropriate.
- Completes special projects and investigations, including the investigation of suspected fraudulent activities.
- Has access to and deals with highly confidential and sensitive information regarding City operations, assets and resources as well as proposed or new management initiatives, strategies or programs.
- Develops and maintains a good knowledge of divisional operations to assist the Division in identifying and addressing potential risk areas and issues.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with senior divisional staff as well as with staff of the Auditor General’s Office.
- Provides input with respect to activities and priorities that will assist the Division in establishing and maintaining an effective internal audit program.
- Ensures appropriate project management techniques are utilized to ensure all audit objectives are met and the audit work is performed cost effectively and within the time budget allocated.
- Maintains professional relationships with other audit organizations and professional associations to keep current on developments in the audit field.
- Performs other duties as assigned, which are unplanned or of a transient nature, and which are consistent with the foregoing job responsibilities.
- A professional designation (CA, CGA, CMA, CIA), or a sufficient and appropriate combination of skills and expertise in the internal audit field, combined with experience in the completion and management of a broad scope of audits and special projects.
- Considerable experience in performing (one or more of the following): varying and complex financial, operational and compliance audits, information technology systems Audits and/or forensic investigations.
- Proven ability to organize and manage projects, processes and work teams.
- Comprehensive knowledge of audit principles, practices and standards.
- Well-developed research skills, and familiarity with data extraction and analysis tools.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment and deal with senior management on a variety of complex and sensitive issues.
- Ability to work unsupervised, exercise discretion and judgement, as well as handle multiple audits and or issues concurrently.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as the ability to effectively facilitate meetings and focus groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate audit findings and conclusions, through clear and concise reports and other correspondence, as well as by making verbal presentations to management.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.