- Responsible for the effective management of the Financial Services Unit in accordance with City’s By Laws, Provincial Legislation, and Corporate and Divisional Policies and Procedures. Administers and manages all activities in the section through effective operational planning, ethical decision making and innovation.
- Develops operational plans to achieve the goals and objectives of the section and to guide day to day activities that are aligned with the Division’s Strategic Plan. Recommends policies regarding program specific requirements.
- Manages, motivates and develops the unit’s staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Manages the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Ensures all policies and procedures are well documented and clearly understood by all staff. Assists in the development of divisional Policies and Procedures.
- Develops performance indicators/measures related to Council approved service levels, customer satisfaction, and key performance activities and ensures that they are actively monitored and measured on a consistent basis in order to make corrections and improvements as required.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the unit, and ensures that the unit’s expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Responds strategically to emerging issues, assesses the impact on operations and develops, recommends and implements innovative solutions. Leads the utilization of technology in the automation of related business processes.
- Conducts periodic review of existing systems, practices, policies and procedures to ensure employment of best practices and sound internal controls. Leverages technology to automate business processes to improve efficiency and effectiveness in the workplace.
- Leads effective change management while maintaining a positive and healthy work environment.
- Coordinates and controls financial activities on behalf of Cluster B divisions relating to Purchasing and Accounts Payable functions. Provides professional financial support and advice to Cluster B division’s senior management, staff and external clients. Works with divisional management teams on related organizational and change management initiatives.
- Coordinates and controls financial activities on behalf of Cluster B divisions which includes:
- P Card administration including Level 1 and Level 2 approval and Monthly P Card Report distribution to divisional P Card Coordinators.
- Administration of petty cash function.
- Creation of Purchase Requisitions, DPOs, CRO’s and Goods Receipts in SAP.
- Processing of Payment in lieu of Taxes, Capital Transmittal Forms, Accounts Payable Interface files, Schedule A payments and vendor discount invoices.
- Analysis and management of parked documents including monthly analysis of commitments and Goods Receipt/Invoices.
- Reconciliation of salt/sign inventories.
- Ensuring that the financial transactions are recorded in a timely manner and that they are valid, accurate and complete and in accordance with City’s Bylaws and all relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensuring that strong internal controls exist as required.
- Coordinates and facilitates procurement activities on behalf of Cluster B divisions which includes:
- Preparation of sole source documentation, formal and informal calls, and Purchase Order Amendments.
- Reviewing monitoring and approving of purchasing transactions to ensure compliance with Purchasing by laws, and all relevant policies and procedures. Ensures strong internal controls as required.
- Monitoring of blanket contract expenditures and advises divisional contacts on the status of Blanket Contracts and any follow up action required by the division.
- Ensuring of accurate and timely processing of all purchasing and accounts payable related transactions at the accounting month end.
- Provides support to the Cluster B divisions with respect to the year-end closing of the financial books for the City (e.g. vendor payments, liability accruals, inventory, petty cash, etc.).
- Provides training and support to Cluster B divisions on the City’s Financial Accounting Module and any relevant by laws, policies and procedures.
- Responds to requests for information by client division staff, ensuring that responses are consistent, timely and reflect professional advice. Prepares ad hoc financial reports for management and operational staff. Ensure all purchasing and payables financial reports for Council and senior management decision-making and performance measurement are prepared in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with established principles and standards.
- Liaises with Corporate Accounting Services and Purchasing & Materials Management on accounting, accounts payable, financial reporting and purchasing issues. Liases with internal/external auditors concerning payables and purchasing matters.
- Representative for Cluster B P Card Administration and SAP access and training requests relating to general ledger, procurements and accounts receivables.
- Ensures all digital and physical financial records are maintained in accordance with the Corporate Record Management policy and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with corporate and provincial legislations, such as the Ontario Human Rights Code, Workplace Harassment, and Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Professional accounting designation required, with a post-secondary education in business administration, public administration or a similar discipline related to the job function.
- Management experience in a large public sector or private sector organization, specifically related to the job function.
- Experience in the application of the principles and practices of operating and capital budget formulation, evaluation, administration and planning
- Extensive experience in leading change management initiatives
- Extensive experience in automating business processes utilizing new technology to improve operational efficiency.
- Ability to motivate and lead staff.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff and client divisions/ departments.
- High developed communication skills, both verbal and written, at all organizational levels.
- Superior analytical, interpersonal, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of occupational health and safety.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure and produce results within tight time frames.
- Expert level skills in SAP and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Extensive knowledge of financial control by-law, purchasing bylaws and related regulations.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.