- Ontario NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
HR Consultant, Occupational Health, Safety & Disability Management
A solutions-oriented leader with knowledge of occupational health & safety and other relevant legislation, sound HR practices, collective agreements, and industry best practices, you’re ready to join the City of Toronto as an HR Consultant, Occupational Health & Safety.
Drawing on your consulting experience in this field, you will be a key member of a team of Human Resources professionals providing a range of expertise, consultation and advice to managers and employees of Toronto Water, Engineering & Construction Services and Municipal Licensing & Standards in all aspects workplace safety and health. This will include hazard identification and control, incident investigation, development & delivery of safety related training, Joint Health & Safety Committee and legislative compliance matters.
- Provides a leadership and coordination function and support in the area of divisional occupational health and safety programs, including Joint Health and Safety Committee development, training and certification, accident investigation and re-enforcement of the City’s Internal Responsibility System.
- Responsible for the timely and effective delivery of program services to support business, divisional and corporate objectives. Assists in results-oriented human resource planning with assigned divisions on service priorities, service standards and objectives.
- Provides consultation and guidance to managers, supervisors and staff on a day-to-day basis on health and safety matters including legislative compliance, industry best practices, hazard identification and assessment and safe work procedure development & implementation.
- Provides consultation on the assessment of work related hazards and the development of Prevention strategies.
- Provides guidance on the assessment of occupational health and safety training needs of staff; and assists in the development, assessment and/or delivery of the health & safety related training that meet the identified training needs.
- Provides consultation and guidance in meeting and surpassing legislative standards, City Policy as well as collective agreements and policies, programs and processes.
- Participates on task forces, corporate initiatives, committee etc. in support of and/or lead in the development of policies, programs and procedures as related to City Occupational Health and Safety programs and Policies. Responsible for the planning, implementing, advocating, promoting and monitoring of safe work practices.
- Provides guidance on an ongoing basis to management staff on all Occupational Health and Safety matters.
- Prepares regular summaries highlighting the progress of health and safety matters.
- Acts as a mentor/coach to help managers and supervisors to enhance their proficiency in managing daily health and safety activities by providing leadership, developing recommendations, implementing solutions and ensuring quality in service delivery.
- Provides a quality control function as it relates to work planning, identifying activities, setting output targets/deliverables.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in related discipline, (i.e. Occupational Health & Safety, Human Resources, etc.), or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional certification preferred, (i.e. CRSP – Canadian Registered Safety Professional, CHSC – Certified Health and Safety Consultant – a Canadian Society of Safety Engineering professional designation achieved by examination), or their equivalent or eligibility for certification and evidence of significant progress towards completion.
- Considerable practical experience in health and safety, and disability management consultancy.
- Considerable experience in delivering and developing training programs focusing on health, safety and disability management.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communications skills as well as highly developed interpersonal, conflict resolution, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and maintain productive working relationships with managers, employees, union officials and external stakeholders.
- Ability to identify needs; initiate, coordinate and manage projects and implement solutions in response to client issues.
- Good organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and meet strict deadlines.
- Proven consultation skills at all levels within an organization.
- A thorough knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Act & Regulations and related legislation (e.g. Workplace Safety Insurance Act, Transportation of Dangerous Goods etc.), contractual obligations and sound human resource practices.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret applicable codes, standards, guidelines and government legislation.
- Knowledge of ergonomic and occupational hygiene principles an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2268650 and the job classification title.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: