- Ontario NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Reporting to the Senior Financial Analyst, Financial Reporting, this position is responsible for assisting in the overall financial management of the Unit’s banking portfolio through research, financial analysis, variance analysis/reporting, review of Divisional and corporate processes and procedures, enhancing and developing financial and internal controls, and special projects as assigned.
- Assists in the preparation and/or supervision of monthly bank reconciliations of the City’s bank accounts (approximately 40) which are the responsibility of Corporate Banking staff.
- Assists the Senior Financial Analyst in the follow-up of bank reconciliations prepared by other departments (approximately 31) and liaises with Divisions with respect to issue resolutions.
- Completes analysis of transactions and balances as required, oversees daily bank deposit preparation, monthly transfers between bank accounts and provides replacement cheques.
- Ensures internal controls are designed and maintained in accordance with City by-laws and policies.
- Creates appropriate policies and procedures for various banking transactions to ensure consistency in process and communicates and posts updates on the internal accounting website for availability to City Divisions.
- Assists Divisions in the follow-up of banking issues.
- Ensures that appropriate analysis and reconciliations are prepared on a timely basis and updated on a regular basis.
- Reviews and/or approves journal entries.
- Reviews financial system reports and initiates corrective action where required.
- Keeps abreast of relevant Provincial statutes and regulations, City by-laws and Council directions and agreements and initiates accounting action where appropriate.
- Makes recommendations for the establishment of cost elements and balance sheet accounts.
- Liaises with Divisional representatives, agencies and corporations to ensure entries for banking and receivable transactions are properly prepared and appropriately reflected in the financial system on a timely basis.
- Assists with the year-end preparation of financial statements and related working papers as well as reporting of financial transactions with City’s agencies and corporations.
- Supervises support staff, which may include scheduling staff and workloads, staff training and performance development and handling of day to day labour relations matters.
- Participates in various bank related initiatives including eCommerce and Point-of-Sales (POS) and makes recommendations for change initiatives.
- Coordinates the City’s Debit/Credit card payment service program. Liaises with the City’s payment service provider(s) for Debit/Credit cards. Works with the reporting requirements sets up access for City staff, administers the refund process, maintains a database of equipment and merchant numbers for the City and is the City’s contact for issue resolution.
- Coordinates confirmation of the annual petty cash and maintains the database.
- Leads special projects and assignments as required.
- Assists in the preparation of Financial Information Return.
- Assists in the conversion of ABC’s statements in Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) format for consolidation as part of the year-end process.
- Acts as a liaison between the various banks, bank related institutions and Divisions.
- Provides advice and guidance to accounting staff and Divisions.
- Professional accounting designation (e.g. CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Considerable accounting experience in a public or private sector accounting environment.
- Considerable experience preparing financial reports and statements.
- Considerable experience using Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word and Excel).
- Considerable experience using computer-based accounting systems (e.g. SAP).
- Considerable experience supervising, leading, motivating and training staff.
- Knowledge of municipal accounting and generally accepted principles and practices, applicable legislation and Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards and requirements.
- Knowledge of financial and internal controls.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines under time constraints.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively as an effective team member.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with various levels of staff within the City as well as external organizations.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and to set priorities, plan and execute tasks.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Familiarity with Ontario Statues, including Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2267094 Financial Analyst.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: