As part of the Transportation Services Division’s Toronto & East York District, reporting to the Supervisor Contract Coordination & Approvals of the Surface Maintenance Unit, the Engineering Technologist Technician 1 will have the following major responsibilities:
- Assists Senior Engineer, Transportation Engineer with carrying out various engineering assignments within the field of civil engineering including managing assigned municipal construction contracts and operations.
- Prepares tenders, request for quotations, and request for proposals and administers contracts for the supply, installation, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructure.
- Ensures procurement of goods and services are carried out in accordance with all City of standards, specifications and policies.
- Administers, prepares, coordinates and researches requirements for reports, specifications and any documentation related to construction projects and divisional activities
- Conducts field inspections and evaluates conditions within the Right-of Way, ensuring proper traffic control procedures are in place when necessary.
- Develops, maintains and monitors programs and systems.
- Leads projects and directs staff on projects.
- Prepares drafts of documents, contracts, specifications and agreements for the Engineers or Supervisor as required (e.g. council reports, Briefing Notes, Staff Reports, etc.).
- Programs, operates and maintains a variety of electronic equipment and systems in performing calculations, diagnostics, repairs, studies, etc.
- Checks and provides progress/inspection reports on the work of contractors and developers to ensure use of safety equipment, adherence to approved designs, procedures, regulations, statutes, specifications etc.
- Liaises with Utility companies, developers, public, contractors, consultants, lawyers, City divisions and districts, elected officials, etc. on pre-construction meetings, to resolve problems etc.
- Assists in the preparation of the budget and tracking of expenditures on a project level
- May be required to troubleshoot with regard to job site problems.
- Performs and/or reviews research and calculations and analyzes technical data.
- Compiles, analyzes and correlates data and prepares reports and studies for submission to management or council for program area.
- Investigates and responds to inquiries from the public, consultants, contractors related to construction activity, by-law interpretation, location of property lines, encroachments.
- Prepares, reads and interprets architectural drawings.
- Accepts and coordinates permit applications and issues permits for construction and/or occupancy of the City’s right of way.
- Attends meetings on behalf of the supervisor/manager.
- Maintains digital and hard copy record management system as related to procurement and construction activities.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Graduate of a Civil Engineering Technologist Program or approved equivalent; or combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience and knowledge of the principles of civil engineering and construction practices, methods and materials.
- Experience in reading and interpreting technical drawings and plans.
- Experience in contract administration, management, and procurement process.
- Experience administering project budgets and tracking expenditures.
- Considerable experience using a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel and Access) and database systems such as, TMMS and SAP.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s License Class “G” and access to personal vehicle for City business.
- Eligibility for membership in the Ontario Association of Engineering, Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) will be an asset.
You must also have:
- Knowledge and understanding with all relevant regulations, statutes, standards and practices (e.g. Occupational Health and Safety Act, Purchasing Policies )
- Demonstrated ability to perform manual/computerized mathematical calculations.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, organize and work with minimal supervision.
- Advanced problem solving, project coordination skills and the ability to exercise independent judgement in dealing technical matters.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to perform assigned duties within tight timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to answer enquiries from utilities, the public, elected officials, City divisions and districts, agencies, contractors, etc. and technically converse verbally, and in writing, with engineering staff and other technical representatives.
- Work beyond normal business hours and on weekends and statutory holidays when necessary.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2267400 and the job classification title.