In conjunction with the Home Administrator, the Director of Care is responsible for the effective management of the nursing service in a small Long-Term Care Home to ensure the efficient utilization of human, physical, and financial resources to meet or exceed the quality care standards approved for the service and effectively manage risks.
- Responsible for the effective leadership and management of the nursing service in a long-term care home to ensure the efficient utilization of human, physical, and financial resources to meet or exceed the quality care standards approved for the service
- Maintains a high standard of nursing and personal care; assesses and manages risk related to nursing and personal care
- Directs the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of resident plans, care approaches, treatment modalities, application of best practice, research-based evidence in care delivery systems through the automated resident planning system (RAI-MDS)
- Oversees drug administration and the secure and safe storage of medications including narcotics and controlled drugs as per applicable legislation and regulations
- Oversees the implementation and evaluation of the infection prevention and control program including outbreak management in collaboration with the local public health department
- Monitors the performance of the individual operating units and implements procedural and operational changes as required to improve efficiency, effectiveness and quality of nursing and personal care
- Coordinates the performance review process of all nursing service personnel, coaches and mentors Nurse Managers through performance development; ensures the appropriate delegation of responsibility and authority within the nursing department
- Liaises with other services within the home
- Ensures compliance with the provisions of all applicable legislation and standards relevant to a long-term care home environment
- Ensures the timely preparation of all required correspondence, reports, statements and records
- Coordinates material management as related to nursing and personal care
- Assumes responsibility for the development and implementation of policies and procedures to support an integrated quality improvement system in nursing department
- Supports the placement of nursing students and develops networks with community health services
- Oversees the development of work schedules for all assigned staff and authorities, and effectively controls the overtime work and time off
- Oversees the selection and development of staff for employment consideration
- Effectively handles day to day labour relations matters including the hearing of grievances and the imposition of discipline, as required
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual capital and operating budget for the nursing service and ensures the expenditures are effectively controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Directs or conducts applied research into administrative, nursing and resident care matters
- Extensive experience in nursing management in a long-term care or continuing care/rehabilitation facility.
- Considerable experience in supervising, managing, motivating and developing a diverse workforce in a fast-paced customer service oriented environment.
- Extensive experience in geriatric and/or rehabilitation nursing.
- Graduation from a recognized School of Nursing with a Baccalaureate in Sciences
- Master’s Degree in Nursing Science or certification in Gerontological nursing through the Canadian Nursing Association preferred.
- Eligibility for Registration as a Nurse in the Province of Ontario.
- Considerable knowledge of the modern principles and practices of Nursing Management and Administration.
- Ability to effectively handle day to day labour relations matters.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing at all organizational levels.
- Ability to effectively manage financial and human resources.
- Knowledge of legislation in Long-Term Care, as well as other government legislation in the areas of labour, employment, health and safety, human rights and provincial standards and classification for long-term care.
- Sound managerial judgment in public and labour relations.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and demands in an environment with high expectations and frequent and competing deadlines.
- Highly developed interpersonal, public, labour and human relation skills to build and maintain effective relations and partnerships with all stakeholders
- Excellent negotiating, conflict resolution, project management, strategic, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Effective decision maker with a track record demonstrating innovation and results oriented leadership
- Proficient in the use of various computer applications including Office Suite.
- As a condition of employment with the Long-Term Care Homes & Services Division, selected candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Reference Check (PRC) with vulnerable sector screening, tuberculosis screening and proof of immunization in accordance with the Long-Term Care Homes Act (O.Reg.79/10)
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.