- Ontario NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT 2
|Job ID #||2267982 X|
|Division||Policy, Planning, Finance & Admin|
|Work Location||METRO HALL, 55 JOHN ST|
|Job Type||Permanent, Full-Time|
|Salary/Rate||$35.61 – $39.00 / Hour|
|Hours of Work (bi-weekly)||70.00|
|Shift Information||Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week|
|Number of Positions Open||2|
- Performs accounting duties such as reviewing, researching, analyzing and reconciling ledger accounts, setting up and maintaining expenditures and revenue working papers, spreadsheets and reconciliation to general ledger.
- Prepares financial statements and statistical data reports i.e. departmental capital and current projects.
- Reviews, analyzes and reconciles encumbrances, budget variance reports and cost detail records related to departmental capital and current projects.
- Reconciles and monitors capital/current projects and recoveries.
- Maintains a Cost Control System including subsidiary records relating to departmental capital and current projects.
- Prepares monthly departmental financial statements and other financial information for Divisions, Provincial and Federal Governments.
- Prepares and calculates subsidy claims, ad hoc financial and statistical reports to the Provincial and Federal Government.
- Performs and maintains accounts receivable functions including bank deposits and reconciliation, preparing, reviewing, posting and reconciling journals entries.
- Performs calculations in order to process period end accruals for expenditures.
- Prepares working papers and processes period end and year-end closing entries.
- Reviews financial system reports and takes action as required.
- Analyzes and reconciles account balances. Prepares, reviews, and posts journal entries.
- Reviews General Ledger expenditure and revenue accounts, processes reclassification and reallocation adjustments, and reconciles expenditures.
- Prepares statements for reporting to management and divisions.
- Analyzes monthly budget variances.
- Provides assistance on accounting and financial related matters to the divisions as requested.
- Provides financial analysis, claims and other information to the divisions.
- Creates/executes ad hoc financial system reports for analytical purposes.
- Liaises with Finance Department for processing vouchers, retrieving documents and dealing with other accounting related issues.
- Assists on projects and assignments.
- Monitors Provincial statutes and regulations, City by-laws and/or Council direction, and agreements for any changes.
- Co-ordinates data with the City, Provincial and Federal Auditors.
- Maintains all payroll records.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Present enrolment towards completion of a professional accounting designation and/or an equivalent combination of education and senior experience in accounting will also be considered.
- Extensive experience in municipal accounting or relevant private sector experience in financial accounting and financial reporting.
- Considerable experience in the analysis, investigation and processing of transactions relating to accounts receivable and or accounts payable.
- Considerable experience analyzing financial data and preparing financial reports.
- Considerable experience using office systems including Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Considerable experience using SAP or an equivalent financial information system.
You must also have:
- Advanced knowledge of current accounting procedures and techniques pertaining to the function, with a strong working knowledge of SAP financial system.
- Ability to prepare detailed correspondence, memoranda, summaries, statements, and documentation requiring the interpretation and application of a wide range of administrative accounting practices.
- Ability to provide work direction and training to accounting staff.
- Working knowledge of Financial Control and Municipal codes.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and the public.
- Ability to perform complex detailed computations and calculations.
- May be required to work overtime to meet regular deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and meet deadlines.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: